Monday, December 11, 2006

Against All Odds

I was in an office lobby, a very comforting office lobby, which was very calm, relaxing and cozy, where outside I could see lots of trees, flowers and plants. Then I went out through one of the doors, which connects to the right side of the building. As the door open, I could feel the fresh air, the cold and breeze of a cloudy afternoon. Then suddenly I saw him, standing right in front of me, backward of my standing direction. I could almost see his front while looking at his back; he’s still the way he was, the way I knew. He was wearing a grey suite and a long grey trench coat. His hair was still the same, his figures, although I must say he look a bit taller and his body is better built. I could smell his perfume, his after shave and feeling indulge with the familiar comforts.

Then he turned his head and smile, the same old friendly and naughty yet familiar smile, I smiled back feeling happy for he still notice me, but then I felt ashamed, he wasn’t smiling at me; he was smiling because he was feeling happy, I assumed. I step forward towards him, called his name but he didn’t hear me calling. I tried to call him again, then he stepped forward towards me, I thought he heard me but then he turned left, smiling incredibly warm to someone standing at his direction. Then I look into his direction. It was her, his current partner. She was standing there wearing dark brown pants, a turtle neck sweater, a lighter brown corduroy jacket with a pair of black boots. Her hair were short, she was happily waiting for him, glazing her big comforting smile although she looks cold as the wind blows her hair. He took her hand, invite her to go together to his direction, and then they’re both leaving, making a distance to where I was standing. I was still standing there, didn’t know how to react. A slight of jealousy came rushing into my heart, it used to be me that he loves that much, it used to be my hand that he’s holding. He turned his head while walking, looking directly into my eyes. He smiled as if he wanted to let me know that he’s happy. I smiled back, although I can’t help the falling tears. He noticed my presence; he knew I was there, looking at him, calling his name. I’m happy to see him happy, of course I am.

I wore my red leather glove and put my hands deep inside my white trench coat pockets, trying to find a glimpse of warmth as I walked by. Then I remembered a song that used to be our song, I sing it slowly to myself.

How can I just let you walk away?
Just let you leave without a trace
When I stand here taking every breath with you
You’re the only who really knew me at all

How can you just walk away from me
when all I can do is watch you leave
Cause we've shared the laughter and the pain and even shared the tears
You're the only one who really knew me at all

I wish I could just make you turn around
turn around and see me cry
There's so much I need to say to you, so many reasons why
You're the only one who really knew me at all

So take a look at me now, there's just an empty space
And there's nothing left here to remind me
Just the memory of your face
Take a look at me now, well there's just an empty space
and you coming back to me is against the odds and that's what I've got to face

Inspired by: Agains All Odds by Phill Collins