Friday, April 21, 2006

Yesterday

Have you experienced the longest hour in your life? When you were waiting for a certain time but it feels that time went slower and the certain time you were waiting for came slowly. A minute feels like an hour or so. I felt that yesterday was the longest day of my life; it contains loads of hours of waiting. The story was like this.

Yesterday I was fasting. Logically I only need to stay in the office because I don't have to go anywhere to eat. But I promised my sister that I would exchange her oversized-pajamas that I bought her the other day on a Bazaar that was held in an office building near my office building. So in the middle of the afternoon I went outside, walking to the Bazaar building that reside five buildings from my office building. It wasn’t very far indeed but somehow that afternoon was a shiny one, the sun raised brightly that made the weather quite hot. I was pretty exhausted. After I exchanged the pajamas to the right size I went right back to office, the journey took about an hour, so in 1.00 PM I already back at the office.

I was unaware of my body condition that day. I was fasting with only a glass of milk and mineral water as the meal in the day break. So I was dehydrated, loosing my energy pretty much because of the walk I took in the noon. At 5.00 PM I was suffocating, I felt rather dizzy and my body burst cold sweat. I was terrified, I was afraid I would be unconscious that time. But I tried to hold on. I was thinking it was only an hour left to the fasting break. It was really the longest one hour in my life. I couldn’t stop seeing at the clock. Every minute feels like forever. Then it was 5.30 PM, 5.42 PM, 5.48 PM. God, I felt that I would just fasten the clock to the fasting break time. I was thinking of giving up too. But I felt that it was cheating. I couldn’t cheat. Especially cheating the commitment I made with Allah SWT. I couldn’t do that. So I held on. I kept on saying to myself, you can do it. Then 5.54 came, Maghrib time came, the time for fasting break. I drank a glass of hot tea with so much gratitude. I was very thankful that I could last the miserable one hour of waiting, an hour of misery and sorrow J Hahahahahaaa I even ate a box of Tango Wafer. I was very greedy at that moment J Hahahahaha

Overwhelmed of the thought that my miserable time of waiting was over, after praying I went straight back to home. It was rainy and the traffic was very bad. Then another miserable time came. I need to go to the toilet! Could you believe it? I was holding my pee in the car on a heavy rain. It was a very harrowing two hours, then I finally arrived at home.

The experience that day made me thinking. I didn’t eat all day because I want to, because I was fasting. I was thinking of other people that couldn’t eat; not because they want to but because life forced them to be. They lived a very poor life so that to have a decent meal in a day is a very difficult thing to have. Or other people that works in a place with direct sunlight in the fasting month. They must felt miserable, the experience I was having that day was nothing compared to them. I felt rather shame for complaining. I’m sorry Allah SWT, for complaining, for not being thankful enough to your gifts.

The next time you want to complaints, think of other people that living life not as lucky as you. Maybe you will find a positive side of your complaints and start feeling grateful.

It was a very exhausting day with a beautiful end J

PS: So, what was your story? When was the last time you felt that a minute felt like an hour?