Monday, May 08, 2006

Dreams (Can) Come True

Woouw... It's already Monday again. Time goes by very fast when I wasn't waiting for anything, unlike last week when I felt time goes by very slow because I was waiting for Saturday to come, the BIG day :p That Saturday morning started pretty uptight, I was so tensed and petrified. But I was thinking being so paranoid wouldn’t help and I tried to relax. I prayed a lot and I must say it went quite fine [or at least I hoped it will be fine :p ]… I went through it anyway. And although I had an uptight morning, the night was pretty good. I went to the movie with Chandra, we saw Mission Impossible III at Citos. The movie was great, I was thinking of writing the review later because I felt very lazy to write it now.

One thing that makes me feel quite surprised about that night was that I saw pretty much foreigners there. I met a couple and a family who was also watching the movie in the theater with me and a few teenagers in the lounge room. Before this instance, I was thinking that some foreigners were afraid to go outside and hang out in public places such as malls or else, as we know that we had some security issue nowadays. I hardly ever met them when I was out before. But what I was thinking before was very wrong as I saw them that night enjoying their time, felt secure and fine. For a moment I thought that they might felt they were a part of this country, they felt that they were citizen too. They might have lived here for a long time and perhaps some of them were born here. I didn’t know the exact rule, but if you were born and live in a country, then that country will be your home town, right? You will at least feel that you were part of the country. I would think that way if I were them. Just like my two cousins. I had two cousins who were born and lived in Germany for all their live. And I’m absolutely sure that they felt they were Germany’s and part of the country, they might prefer to live there instead of here although their parents are Indonesian’s J

That moment makes me happy. If they felt secure of hanging out and felt not being a stranger at all, it means that we were succeed of presenting a comfort and secure atmosphere in our country, despite some issues, horrors and terrors that surrounds us lately related to the foreigners. Not to forget tourists in Bali. After the bombing action in late 2005, many tourists still came to Bali. They had no worries in visiting Indonesia despite the bombing action [although I must say that some of them thought of Bali as a an island separated from Indonesia, as if Bali is not part of Indonesia ;P ]

I remembered when I visited my cousin who was studying in Malaysia a couple of years ago. She took me to her school and I saw a multi nation citizens studying there. There were Asians, Australians, Americans and so many others. I think that Malaysia is a hundreds steps ahead of us; they were very open to other citizen to study and live there and they also guaranteed the security of their citizen and non-citizen whom are living in their country; so that they could lived peacefully together, side by side. That day I remembered imagining living in such country, I even imagined that one day Indonesia would grow as Malaysia grows. I imagined that one day we will live altogether in harmony, we would became a country that contains of multi nation citizen living side by side with no fear, no prejudice. And regarding to my experience that night of seeing so many foreigners securely interacts with Indonesian give an optimistic feeling to me, that perhaps my dreams wasn’t just a dream. I believe someday my dreams would come true…

PS: I’ll have the BIG day's result next week; I hope it turns out to be just perfectly fine… Pray for me will you? I hope my dreams would come true :)