Sunday, February 11, 2007

Tour de Kelapa Gading

Lalalala… It’s 11.00 PM and I’m not sleeping yet, still working on this thing I have to be doing. I should’ve done this earlier but I drove my grandma to see flood in Kelapa Gading this afternoon.

I don’t know what’s got into her, but my grandma insists to see the floods in Kelapa Gading. So I drove her there. My mom, sister and aunt are coming too. We saw nothing actually, the land was already dry, the floods were nowhere to be seen, and it was actually a pretty hot afternoon. Malls are already open, restaurants are back in business and people already hang out. That was my impression when I got to Kelapa Gading.

A different impression was when I got to Pulomas. It was state-owned estate, unlike Kelapa Gading who was owned by private developer called Summarecon Group. So as you know, the work of our government in handling crisis, issues and whatsoever was always late and lame. So when people are starting life in Kelapa Gading, Pulomas was hardly seen touched. There were still garbage; untidiness and the evidence of really hideous flood were still there.

The worst part was when I got to the four junctions somewhere in Cempaka Putih or Cempaka Mas. It was the placed of people who lives under the line of wealth and proper. Some of their house were still half-drowned, I even seen one group of houses that looks more like swamp rather than houses. It was heart-braking. Some of the victims were living under the flyovers without decent food, shelter and clean water. I wonder how they’re going survive the next days. The busway lane was damaged, it was hardly even proper.

The government really should change the way they rule this country, otherwise we were leading to self-destruction. PERIOD.